Often I use a gamepad in games, there is a working old xbox 360 gamepad, I bought about 10 years ago, in fact, it works to this day, but I wanted to take something newer and more comfortable. In the old one, triggers and vibration feedback were not arranged, plus, additional buttons were needed (petals – so that you could keep your fingers on the sticks and at the same time use the four main XYAB buttons), which are not in the old model. I began to look at what is interesting on the market. The choice was stopped on this model by the Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2.
I preliminarily looked at the first version of this controller, but there were too “soft” sticks and there was no way to bring them to a state like on the old XBox360 gamepad and there was no bluetooth. Here they can be customized as you wish. Therefore, I chose 2 series.
Here is a photo compared to the old gamepad.
The new one is noticeably heavier – it has both its drawbacks and its advantages, you just need to understand that it is quite weighty and how convenient it will be for you. Build quality and tactile feel in hands are incomparably better than older xbox gamepads. The new gamepad can work both by wire and without in two wireless modes – this is definitely a big plus for me, as my old gamepad worked wirelessly with a crooked receiver, there were eternal problems with the drivers.
About the pros of the Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2:
1) Once again I’ll write separately – a big plus – this is the tactile feel of the gamepad and the build quality, it is clear that you don’t expect anything else from the expensive gamepad, but I’m glad that the expectations were met. Rubber ribbed pads allow the controller to not slip out – keeping it at the expense of it is much more convenient than its predecessor.
2) Extremely precise vibration motors in the handles and separate vibration motors for each trigger add in some games (Forza Horizon 4, for example) just an incredible sense of control.
3) Options. You can choose the appropriate option sticks, cross. The package also includes a convenient case that can act as a charging station, the charging dock is magnetized and can be removed if desired. Plus, a great long braided wire. Here is a photo of the complete set (plus, a wireless receiver – it is not included in the package, I bought it separately for a wireless connection):
Separate photo of the braided cord:
Case with charging dock:
Here is a gamepad with disconnected sticks and crosses:
Photo from the back with and without petals:
4) Flexible settings. You can adjust the “stiffness” of the course of the sticks, the depth of the trigger, as well as reassign all the buttons in the desired way. On the gamepad itself, you can switch between three custom profiles on the go using a special button. Plus, there is a separate xbox Accessories application in which you can configure and reassign buttons, adjust the sensitivity and range of the trigger, as well as the sensitivity and zone of the sticks. As well as the brightness of the xbox button.
1) For me personally, the disadvantage was that the vibration motors are significantly louder than in the xbox 360 controller, sometimes it annoys me in silence.
2) Again, a minus for me personally: the crosspiece slightly “crunches”, unlike the extremely soft one in the xbox 360 gamepad. Perhaps this is not in all instances, more on this below in the general comment on the model
3) By settings: only the actions of the buttons of the gamepad itself can be assigned to removable petals, there is no way to use them as additional buttons or at least as a combination of buttons, which would be more convenient.
4) You can connect the gamepad to the phone or without a receiver, but when connected via bluetooth there is a noticeable delay in input. The problem is rather bluetooth but still.
5) The set does not include a receiver for wireless connection to a PC. It’s rather my wishlist. than a serious drawback, but for a device of such a cost, it is quite a reasonable wish, as for me.
I did not specifically write in the minuses about the price, yes, it is quite high, but not overpriced. Before buying, I was embarrassed by the huge number of reviews on foreign sites about the terrible build quality and the extremely high number of defects, so before buying I thoroughly checked everything for backlash / creaks / crunching / pressing of buttons and so on, but I was lucky the first time (for this opportunity this check and exchange in which case I specially took it in a “white” store, although there were cheaper offers on the market, but did not dare). Perhaps the problem with the “crunch” of the cross is too tangible and tactually related to a partial marriage, but not so much as to change (everything else suits, plus, I’m not sure that this is a marriage, but it was not intended to, but still) . With a wireless receiver it can only be used with Windows 10, you need to keep this in mind.
In general, the impressions of the controller are extremely positive, despite the above disadvantages, it feels and plays simply gorgeous.
The article is written on the basis of materials of this site.